Direct Support Staff
Please note that this job description includes but is not limited to just what is listed below. The employer reserves the right to change/modify this description as situations or needs of the person's served by this program change.
The duties of a Direct Support Staff (DSS) include the following;
- Must have training from a qualified professional in the areas of CPR, First Aid & Medication Administration (ESAFC to provide training as needed).
- Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record and valid insurance.
- Must have a high school diploma or the equivalence of a GED
- Must be trained in the area of Vulnerable Adults within 72 hours of date of hire (ESAFC to provide training).
- Must be willing to work in a smoke-free environment.
- Must be willing to work as part of a team.
- Must have excellent time management skills.
- Must be able to work with little to no supervision.
- Must be able to handle taking direction as needed.
- Must have the ability to problem-solve in relation to all aspects of the job; must be able to discern what is in the best interest of the consumer if there is a problem or a client need.
- Must have a positive attitude.
- Must have training in the area of documentation and report writing specific to the needs of the consumers in this home.
- Must understand that each consumer is an individual and needs to be cared for to meet his/her unique needs.
- Must be able to provide at least 3 references—at least one being of a professional nature.
- Must follow through with all consumer routines assigned for that day.
- Must follow through with all duties assigned by the director of the home.
- Must be able to follow through with all person’s served by the program's daily goals and objectives; this would include daily charting required by the Department of Human Services.
- Must care for the family pet and follow through with directions provided for the pet. (If an employee is uncomfortable with caring for the pet, than the employer is willing to make reasonable adjustments for that employee in order to provide a comfortable & safe atmosphere for all involved).
- Must have knowledge in and follow all policies and procedures of Eisel-Stecyk Adult Foster Care; to include the person's served files (ESAFC to provide training as needed).
- Must maintain a clean household; to include reporting any problems with equipment/appliances used in the operation of the home.
- Must be able to comfortably lift a minimum of 50 lbs. unassisted and to comfortably push an occupied wheelchair unassisted .
- Must be able to provide cares in relation to activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, feeding, etc.)
- Must be able to prepare a healthy meal and follow a menu plan.
- Must be comfortable with all the physical aspects of this position: (bending, walking, transferring person's served up and down stairs as well as in and out of a wheelchair, being on your feet for 3 hours or more at a time.
- Must be able to work overnights when needed.
- Must be flexible.
- Must be willing to participate in community outings with the person's served as assigned by the director.
- Must at all times maintain the health and well-being of all person's served by the program; following all plans in place for each individual.
- Must be willing to submit to an annual physical if requested or required, in order to ensure that any and all physical aspects of the job can be maintained.
- Must be responsible for maintaining minimum annual training hours (ESAFC to provide training as needed).
- Must be willing to be current with all changes that may occur within the facility as needed.
- Must be comfortable with being a part of the decision-making process and being part of the solution to problems that may occur.
- Must be able to work closely with the director of the home
- Must be comfortable working in the home while director and family are present at times.